After we were officially engaged, my mom and I realized very quickly that we had a lot to do. My mom and I were on the phone one day, and I told her that from here on out until the wedding, there would not be one single phone call/conversation that would not involve a wedding plan! With Jack pushed to the way-side, my mom and I started planning!! ;)
When discussing the date, there were some issues. Neither Jack nor I wanted a long engagement...but we weren't sure we could get a date during the summer. We knew we wanted to get married, but not during the school year...that left May, June, July, and August, and we were already at the end of January...eek...the answer to those dates came quickly when we started looking at reception sites...the event planners were like, really???? You want to book a date WHEN??? Uh, no...people book two and three years in advance...Well, okee dokee...we started looking at dates after the fall semester/Christmas time. There were a couple of dates available at a few sites, so we started pounding the pavement (or the slush...man was the weather bad that day)!
The first place we went was ok. It is owned by my mom's friend. We went to visit, and the people were very friendly and accommodating. There was slight lack of class to the joint, though...the other thing is, it smelled. It smelled of industrial cleaning supplies. It is lovely that the place is clean, but for the love of all things good...the smell was enough to roll the dead over in their graves!
The weather was increasingly getting worse, but we trudged along anyway. We had 3 more appointments to make that day.
The second place was a hall not too far from the church where we would be married. It, too, was ok...one problem with this place is it was scary looking. Another problem is that we had to do all of our own cooking or hire a caterer. UMMM, NOOOO. Not a chance!!
Once again, the roads were getting pretty yucky, but we were PLANNING A WEDDING!! NOTHING WAS STOPPING US!!
The third place was a country club/golf club. The floor plan was completely choppy. There was no way we could fit all of our guests into this choppy crazy floor plan. Another thing about this place is there would still be other members of the club allowed in the area where the reception would be held. The worst thing is that the cake and gifts would have to be placed in the main foyer/entrance area where people (who aren't with the wedding) could totally walk off with the gifts/card box...seriously??? This is where all brides put their gifts and cake??? CRAZINESS...
The last place we went was good stuff. It was near our apartment! I liked the rooms they had to offer. The people were nice. There were no funny smells. They had catering on site. This could be it. My sister met my mom and I at Genesys Banquet and Conference Center after spinning out on the highway. She was very shaken up because after she spun out, a semi-truck was heading straight toward her! She called work and told them she wasn't going to drive all the way down to Auburn Hills in this weather. When she arrived at the hall, she was shaken, but happy to be a part of the planning! She approved of the place, as did my mom! It was definitely more pricey than the other places, but it included more stuff. Mom was willing to help out with the costs...A LOT!!
My parents, Jack, and I were able to go to a tasting of the food that we chose. It was good! There are so many receptions that have gross or nasty or bland food...I definitely wanted the opposite. Ultimately, I think we achieved that!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Blanc-MI/Genesys-Conference-Banquet-Center/128873303791513#!/photo.php?pid=354847&id=128873303791513
Because I am new to this blogging thing, I am not sure how to put links in the blog. I think the link above should take you to an example of a table set up at Genesys Conference & Banquet Center, where we chose to have our reception!


No comments:
Post a Comment